Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1764 - 09/03/15 10:13 AM repower advice
10-john Offline
T-10 Master

My 1979 Farymann K34 runs, but I think it's time to preempt a failure during the season by repowering this winter. What engines have been used, and what guidance does anyone have? Does anyone have recommendations for good boat yards on Lake Superior? Any engines out there looking for a new home?

Oh, and if you will need the Farymann for parts, send me a note before I Ebay it.

#1765 - 09/26/15 05:05 PM Re: repower advice [Re: 10-john]
Michael Linden Offline
T-10 Master

Loc: Florida
Nothing here you probably don't know, but this is what I have learned from my TTen project:

2 cylinder minimum. If you are on fresh water, you can get by without a freshwater exchanger, original equipment. If you do need one, because might use it in a saltwater area, you'll need to raise the engine cover to clear the riser on the heat exchanger.

When you start to get into this, a lot of other things will come up. The biggest will be a saturated core under the engine pan. Look closely, and check with a moisture meter from below. This hull area has very thin glass and is prone to problems from engine vibration. The last thing you want to do is drop in a new engine only to find you have to pull it to repair the area. However, these repairs have been made from the outside. Hope that's helpful.